Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lots of things

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your help this past weekend at Fall Council. We got some great feedback and it is because you girls worked your tails off! THANK YOU! Oh and I promise to not sign us up for it again!

Secondly: lets talk about Moppets. Obviously we are pretty short down there. We had 4 new moms today which threw us off somewhat, but we need to get some more workers. I am not sure who stopped helping out and for what reasons, but we need to find another solution. I contacted Cazenovia College and Morrisville College today and am waiting for a response. Let me know if you have any other ideas???

Thirdly: we need to start planning the X-mas brunch. Although I WAS there last year, I cannot remember all the details, so please help me fill them in. If I recall correctly, we ask everyone to bring food (Lori will have a sign up sheet for this) and then we provide lunch for the workers??? Was there a fee??? Did we order food from somewhere or do we want to?? My thinking is we keep it free. With the economy the way it is, we really should try and cut us stay at home moms a break. That being said, everyone would have to bring in some food. Another idea I had for that event is doing an ornament exchange! I know I did an invitation last year, but my computer crashed so I cannot get it.

We also need to find one more mom to help out during steering meetings. I will be putting an email out to the moms to see if anyone is interested again.

Lastly: Today's talk about teen MOPS lead to a discussion about moms bringing in some items for the teen moms instead of doing the operation x-mas child. Ideas???

Remember next Thursday is steering....i just wanted to start talking about these ideas so we don't have to rush next meeting.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I was thinking back to one year when we were short moppets workers and we as steering each took a meeting and it was our job to find one worker that day, if we were unable to find one we were the worker. I think our using moms and splitting the shift is more disruptive over there than helpful so maybe we need to find people willing to do the whole morning. I think checking out the colleges is a great idea too. I think we all know somebody whether family or friend that we could pull in once in a while. About the Christmas tea/brunch, in the past we have provided lunch for the workers immediatly following our brunch. We have usually made the food as a steering team and then let the other moms make the food for our brunch. Maybe we can discuss a menu for that next week. Thanks for all the work everyone is putting in to make MOPS a great place!!

Kara said...

Sounds great. I agree it is disruptive..especially when our kids see us coming and going. I know Kylie was crying for no reason because I had to go back. Lets do that...we will sign up next week!!

Loren said...

I love you girls! We all need to pray hard for our moppets situation! I think we need to make a plea to our fellow church ladies...I would be willing to throw myself at those at Crossroads! We need to focus outward instead of finding a way to do it all ourselves! It's not fair to us who serve & it will scare away potential steering meembers in the future! I won't do it again if all I'm going to be is a substitute moppets volunteer! We have a really high ratio of kids per moms and thankfully we are growing!! That is the goal! However, we need our kids to be safe & properly attended too during moppets. We need to get sign ups available at the end of services and ask for people to commit to 1 Thursday a month...maybe even have 2 teams. And ask for substitutes as well. They need to understand what we are offering to these wonderful moms! How many do we need? I don't think having steering members cover each week is fair to anyone & should be a last resort! As a DGL I am wanting to create a loving and close relationship with all my gals...how can I do that if I'm with the kids? We need to pull some heartstrings! And maybe if all goes well, we might even see Cindy once in a while! We've got to get her out the basement! Say those prayers, ask those baby boomers & retirees! It can be done...I'll get them at the heart...Cheryl can you get me on stage?

Loren said...

I swear I will get off my soapbox after this comment! In regards to teen MOPS donations...why not take a pole next meeting...we could do both...samaritans purse now, teen mops is spring. It's important either way to give moms ideas about how to give back. Samaritans purse is good to do along with your kids...we provide one shoebox for every kid we have and take it out of Christmas money for them...great family activity...kids love it!

Kara said...

Loren,

I don't feel you are too far off base. We have come to a point where this is our last resort. I, being the leader who doesn't go to Crossrads, have found it difficult to get volunteers. If you girls want to step up to the plate and pull on some heartstrings that PLEASE do it! It is frustrating to have to volunteer down in MOPPETS when we ourselves need a break. I found myself completely needing a break after yesterday and usually I feel pretty refreshed after leavign MOPS. Loren, if you want to arrange a sign up for the church I think that would be great!

In regards to doing both the operation x-mas child and teen mops: Not sure I can do this all by myself. It really is a lot and my church does the same thing. If someone wants to help organize it, than please feel free to jump in here.

Thanks for your comments...they help!!

Cheryl said...

Loren,

To got on stage you need to ask Kim Hunn or Steve Case to see what Sunday they have time for you. Thanks!!
Cheryl

Unknown said...

What if we had some young girls to help out. Distribute the adult workers between the rooms with the girls as assistants? I know a few girls in our who are trained babysitters. They are homeschoolers so they would be available during our meeting times. This would be a good community service to put on a transcript.

Kara said...

Thats a great idea Faith. Could you talk with them???

Anonymous said...

If there is someone in our steering who is a good public speaker and wouldn't mind doing this, what about going to local Chittenango churches and trying to get time to speak or an announcement in their bulletin? Besides Crossroads and the Presbyterian church, do others help out? Would St. Patrick's be a good resource for this?